The Visible Thinking in Mathematics series is designed to give elementary school students opportunities to explore and reflect on the reasoning behind mathematical concepts and skills. Through carefully developed exercises, the 11 books in this series provide students with a qualitative understanding of concepts, therefore building their overall problem solving and thinking skills. Instead of learning rote procedures and formulas, children master concepts by following five distinct chapter sections based on the Singapore Math® Approach:
- Thinking Platform: Functional questions that direct students’ thinking to key subjects and that cultivate their cognitive skills;
- Attaining Mastery: Consecutive mathematical problems using the same framework but alternating key words to highlight the differences between examples and ensure that students learn and retain their new skills;
- Notes: Suggestions on correcting errors, simplifying a concept, or enhancing learning;
- Summative Test: Practice for students to recap what they learned throughout the chapter;
- Think Out of the Box!: Challenging word problems that stretch students’ ability to apply the concepts they learned.
In Visible Thinking in Mathematics 5B, fifth grade students learn and begin to master the following:
- Multiplying and Dividing Decimals by Tens, Hundreds and Thousands
- Converting Measurements
- Problem Solving with Averages
- Angles on a Straight Line and At a Point
- Identifying Right-angled, Isosceles, and Equilateral Triangles
- 4-sided Figures
- Volume of Cubes and Cuboids
Sold in packs of 6.